Located just 10 miles northwest of Atlanta, the suburban city of Smyrna offers a respite from the hustle and bustle of the Atlanta metro, combining small-town charm and serene green space with convenient access to shopping, dining and attractions.
Incorporated in 1872, Smyrna remained mostly an agrarian community until the early 1940s when a nearby aircraft plant converted Smyrna into a wartime economy. Not long after the war, the aircraft plant reopened as Lockheed Georgia in 1951, bringing continued prosperity and growth to the area.
A revitalized historic downtown and Village Green host community events year-round while the city’s business-friendly atmosphere continues to draw hundreds of small business to set up shop here. Factor in a great public school system and affordable real estate prices, and you have the perfect combination for the ultimate in suburban living.
- Population: approx. 57,000
- Elevation: 1060 ft.
- Land Area: 15.4 square miles
- Public schools: Cobb County Schools
- Top employers: UCB, IBM, United Distributors
- National headquarters for Atlanta Bread Company
- Nickname: “The Jonquil City” (for the thousands of jonquil flowers that bloom here in the spring)
Living in Smyrna
- Suntrust Park—Catch a ball game at the newest home of the Atlanta Braves!
- Village Green—The heart of Smyrna’s revitalized downtown area, the Village Green includes a community center, city hall, public library, shopping/dining and green space that hosts numerous festivals, concerts and community events year-round.
- Smyrna Museum—Administered by the Smyrna Historical and Geneological Society, the Smyrna Museum is home to thousands of artifacts from the town’s vibrant history.
- Silver Comet Trail—This 61-mile-long biking/walking trail begins in Smyrna Georgia and heads west to the Alabama border—a great place for recreational activity.
- Six Flags over Georgia—Located just south of Smyrna, this popular theme park offers thrill rides, shows and a water park for loads of seasonal family fun.
- Porch Light Latin Kitchen—Experience a wide range of culinary delights at this intimate pan-Latin restaurant in downtown Smyrna.
- Vittles Restaurant—An old-time diner and gift shop offering casual Southern comfort fare.
- Zama Mexican Cuisine and Margarita Bar—This upscale-casual cantina offers its own unique take on authentic Mexican dishes.
- Scalini’s—Enjoy traditional old-world Italian dishes in a casual family setting.
- Cumberland Mall—Located on the eastern end of Smyrna near the junction of I-285 and I-75, this sprawling complex features more than 100 retailers, including Sears, Macy’s and others.
- Cobb Galleria Centre—Home to the Galleria Specialty Shops, an enclave of unique and eclectic retailers adjacent to Cumberland Mall.
- The Shops at Belmont—A welcoming mixed-use complex with a unique blend of shopping and dining options.
- Airports—The nearest general aviation and corporate airports include Cobb County International Airport-McCollum Field, about 12 miles north of Smyrna; and Peachtree DeKalb Airport, about 17 miles east. For major domestic and international flights, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport is approximately 25 miles to the south.
- Public Transportation—Smyrna is served by CobbLinc, Cobb County’s community bus system, also providing access to MARTA bus and train routes into Atlanta.
- Major Roads and Interstates—Primary routes through Smyrna include Atlanta Road, Concord Road, Spring Road, Windy Hill Road and South Cobb Dr. (GA-280). Just east of town, I-75 and I-285 provide access to points in greater Atlanta.
Smyrna Real Estate Information
Smyrna residences include a healthy blend of single-family homes, townhomes and apartment complexes. Most have been built since 1970, with a few historic homes also available. Smyrna enjoys relatively affordable home prices compared with other neighborhoods in Atlanta. Median home values are around $258,000, with actual home prices ranging from the high $100s on the low end and around $1 million on the high end.
- Barnes Mill
- Cheney Woods
- Concord Village
- Forest Hills
- Highpointe at Vinings
- Parkview Village
- Smyrna Heights
- Spring Hill
- Village Of Belmont
- Woodbridge Crossing
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.